[rescue] DECserver 90l+

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 9 15:09:13 CDT 2001

[ On Monday, July 9, 2001 at 15:37:46 (-0400), Michael A. Turner wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] DECserver 90l+
>
>     Ok what are the items in the title good for and should I bother to
> scrape them off the wall here at work, we have three stuck to the wall,
> quietly blinking , with all the cables running into them. They are not
> hooked to anything running AFAIK and I am thinking of taking them down and
> taking them home. Is it worth my time?

They're wonderful little terminal servers!  Well, not perfect because
they only do LAT, but well worth saving.

I've got a half dozen or so similar 90TL models (that do TCP/IP), most
without the 4MB RAM upgrade, and without power supplies (I have a pair
of DEChub 900MS units to plug them into instead).  I use them as console
terminal servers (they support reverse telnet, even IIRC without the 4MB
upgrade).

You might be able to trick them into loading the 90TL software if you
can configure a MOP server to boot them from (IIRC NetBSD can be used as
a MOP boot server).  With enough incentive I could probably burn a copy
of the 90TL PROM to try to turn one into a 90TL too....  It's just a
standard M27C1001 PROM.  (the one I'm looking at now has "DEC93
SB9408324E9" on the sticker over the window).

BTW, please ditch the stinking festering pile of HTML from the end your
e-mail!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>