[rescue] Can't clear ESP interrups: Check SCSI Term, Power Fuse ??

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 8 21:09:27 CDT 2001

[ On Sunday, July 8, 2001 at 18:35:26 (-0400), Brian Hechinger wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Can't clear ESP interrups: Check SCSI Term, Power Fuse  ??
>
> where are these fuses?  i searched on my sparc5 to see what i could find for
> her, but i never did locate where they were.  they certainly aren't obvious. :)

Well, I must admit that I don't know!

On every other sparc and sparc clone I've looked at they were either
fairly obvious, or very obvious (and usually identical to the keyboard
and ethernet fuses).

Hmm... wait a moment... According to the FEH there are two things with
fuse-like labels on the SS5 board right down in the corner near the SCSI
connector:  F1100 and F1001.  These labels are each beside two boxes on
the board diagram which are both labeled "PTC".  One's a horizontal
rectangle and appears to be directly in the middle of the HD50
connector, just a bit back from the edge, and the other is vertical and
just a bit further back from the HD50 connector.  What are those things?

They use the same terminology for what must be the fuses on the FSBE/S
(501-2105 and 501-2981).

Now unfortunately they do say on most pages about CPU modules listing
similar sounding fuses, that they are not "field replaceable", which is
of course because they are surface mounted.  However anyone with a
careful hand and a suitable soldering iron should be able to replace
them....  This makes me wonder though -- if they're careful to say that
some fuses are not field replacable, doesn't that imply the others are?

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>