[rescue] Re: [geeks] desperation is the mother of invention

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 6 20:27:57 CDT 2001

[ On Friday, July 6, 2001 at 19:28:28 (-0500), Amy wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Re: [geeks] desperation is the mother of invention
>
> hrm. is this your way of saying that you think it's a bad idea?

I personally think it's a great idea!

Unfortunately I'm more or less self-employed, and without a significant
education/conference budget, so for now there's no major financial
incentive.

The other problem I have is of course that there's not yet been a Geek
Cruise that even tweaked my interest (and I wouldn't have even wanted to
have been on the same boat as the first "perl" one!  ;-).

Having now been on one pure-vacation cruise I can also see some inherent
issues with managing people's attention spans, even during a full day at
sea, and you really don't want to be spending too many full days at sea,
especially not in some place like the Caribbean or Mediterranean where
there are a million places to stop and get off the boat and do/see more
interesting things.  I guess on a sufficiently large boat there'd be
facilities better suited for lectures (the boat we were on had a cinema,
but that's about it).

I don't think I could get away with spending vacation money on a Geek
Cruise either, even though my SO's quite a techie herself....  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>