[rescue] Install on one Ultra, use on another?

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 6 13:51:46 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 02:28:39PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> 1) format/newfs of the drives at home and partition them out the way you want
> 2) "install" the disk you want as the new root disk in the place of the 2nd
> disk on the AXe board (master on 2ndary channel.) Then use ufsdump piped to
> ufsrestore to move files from one drive to the next.
> 3) Play musical disks so you can do the same to move partitions from the 2nd
> disk to your other 2nd disk (or whatever you had in mind if you wanted to
> relayout the partitions.)
> 4) Boot off the new disks and check everything out
> 5) patch the hell out of the "new" w/ MU4, Recommended, etc. Skip the 4/01
> CDs.
> -Jon

I'll probably end up doing this:

1.  Tarball up everything I need to keep, FTP to 36gig drive on
    other machine on same network (100bt, yum)
2.  Install new drives as master/slave, do "fresh" Solaris 8 4/01
    install.  Lockdown, get to where I can finish everything else from
    home.
3.  Go home, login from home, rebuild most of /usr/local, rebuild
    things i need, then restore stuff via FTP from other machine.

Probably a good evening's worth of downtime, total.  Longest part is
just installing Solaris 8 on the machine's local cd-rom..

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net