[rescue] solaris 8 on ss20

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 5 07:49:48 CDT 2001

Update to last night, with thanks for those who responded.

Hoo boy was the disk label wrong. Apparently linux's fdisk autoconfigure
for Sun disk labels doesn't do as well as format's. Here are the two
labels for comparison:

<Linux custom cyl 1099 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
<SUN9.0G cyl 4924 alt 2 hd 27 sec 133>

(Yes, the drive is actually a "SUN9.0G" - an OEM IBM)

I managed to put a core system on just the smaller drive last night, to
the point that I'm able to connect to it from work now. Been playing
with format and newfs, and before I fixed the disk label, newfs always
gave me the same error the install did last night, about incorrect block
sizes, and when I manually set it with -f, the fs would be created, but
with major complaints.

With the new disk label, newfs does what I ask it to, and with no
complaints.

Moral of the story: Don't trust linux to create a Sun disk label.

So is there an easy way to get the system to where it would have been
had I done the full install, or should I just go ahead and install again
with the right disk labels on?

Thanks,

---sambo