[rescue] 3D machines

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 5 00:08:50 CDT 2001

While there are some nice video cards for the Indigo2s, you will be lucky
to get them for under $1000 (above and beyond the price of the Indigo2).
Your best bet would be to find an old O2 (as low end and old as possible).
If it is old enough, it will have the Video option already (since it
originally wasn't an option).  If not, I believe that costs $300.  Then
you need software.  Your best best is the SGI Studio bundle with is
outdated versions of Adobe software, but the cheapest way to edit video.

My obsession with getting an SGI for video work is because I want to port
broadcast 2000, and try taking a stab at writing my own video
editing/effects software.  For people with more normal goals, I seriously
recommend getting an iMac DV and a svideo/composite->firewire box.  Then,
if you still have money, and need better software, consider Premiere or
Final Cut Pro.  Frankly, I'm not at all impressed with Premiere, but, it
is cheap.

--
Joshua Boyd