[rescue] SGI... sweet!

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 4 03:35:48 CDT 2001

Robert Rose wrote:

> It was a thought as I have a nice AMI PCI raid controller with a large
> cache and a dual PPro box both doing nothing at the moment. I've got a
> stack (6) of Seagate ST34573WC (4Gb 7200rpm, although according to Seagate,
> this model was never available with SCA) disks to use, should be enough to
> get started with. All I have to do is find or build an enclosure for them
> and the SCA backplane to go in. Is there an LVM available standard in Irix
> or is more dollars?

I believe the xlv_mgr(1M) command is what you are looking for. Striping
(without parity) is supported right out of the box, but mirroring or
striping w/ parity needs a $$$ license. I suppose this is a move to push
video editing market for SGI IRIX since you want to keep simple striping
for bandwidth/cpu reasons when you capture video direct to disk.

As for the SCA-backplane, something like this should be appropriate:
http://www.chieftec.com/products/backplane/ct1045.htm

That backplane together with a simple external 4-bay 5.25" SCSI-box and
keep the sixth disk as reserve.
Just my $0.02. :-)

/Bjorn