[rescue] loadbalancing equip

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 3 14:23:52 CDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I'm looking for cheap-as-possible load balancing/failover for
> two web servers (LocalDirectory, Foundry, etc).  Suggestions?
> Software (opensource and/or free) would work as well, as I
> have two spare Netra T1s, but so far "balance" and "eddie" are
> the best I can find and they're not that great.

The Foundry ServerIronXL is what we use at my place of employment. Their
software is now quite a bit more mature than it was a year or two ago;
we've had a good run with them. The 8-port version cost around $5-6K,
which is pretty cheap as far as loadbalancers go!

The only real opensource loadbalancer that I've tried was
LinuxVirtualServer(.org), which IMO still had a ways to go before it could
compete with anything commercial. Darren R is supposedly working on that
functionality for IPFilter, but looking at the code, it's still in a
formative (and completely undocumented) state.

Dan
--
Dan Debertin
airboss at nodewarrior.org