[rescue] Vax question

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 3 02:40:00 CDT 2001

  Yes, DSSI tape drives were (actually, ARE) available, but I don't
think there are any DSSI CDROMs.  Various DLT drives (up to 30GB I
believe) are available with DSSI interfaces.  Their model numbers
start with "TF" whereas SCSI drives start with "TZ".

  And, just a nit here...despite marketing to the contrary,
particularly in the Mac world, there's no such thing as an "external
drive" in our 5.25" and 3.5" world.  There are drives, drive chassis,
and drives mounted in drive chassis.

  So...DEC/Compaq sells DSSI DLT drives, and you can mount one in a
drive chassis, therefore "external DSSI tape drives" do indeed exist.

           -Dave McGuire