[rescue] Re: [geeks] SGI Origin 200 firewire upgrade - A little OT

Simeon Johnston rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 2 15:04:21 CDT 2001

> Message: 13
> Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:14:30 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu>
> To: sun-rescue <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [rescue] Re: [geeks] SGI Origin 200 firewire upgrade - A little OT
>
> Doesn't the O200 have multiple external SCSI buses?  If so, adding more
> storage is a simple matter of adding a new storage array and hooking it up
> to the next free bus.
>
> What do you use the machine for anyway?

The people who sold it to us said something about not using more than 4 drives per external bus.  Past that
the signal starts to degrade and the speed is affected.
I think they were full of sht but I'm not sure how good the signal has to be to get the kind of speed we are
getting.

We have 4 on each bus and 2 internal drives as storage.  One internal dedicated to OS - IRIX 6.5.
We use this as our main file/print server.  Lots of big files and lots of storage space.  6 9GB drives and 4
18GB drives.  Were running out of room though.  I would like to either upgrade/replace the current drives with
newer bigger and more efficient drives.
OR install a firewire upgrade and get a bunch of firewire hotswapable drives.  There getting cheaper and can
be daisy chained together.  Much more expansion capability than the scsi busses.

It hold's almost everyones data.  All our clients data.  Lot's and lot's of data.
Need more room.
So, I need to either get replacement drives that are compatible with the SGI O200 (are these special or
standard scsi?  7200rpm at least I suppose but maybe 10000rpm?) or get a firewire upgrade card.

sim