[rescue] UPS Recommendations - A True Story

Brian Dunbar rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 2 14:30:02 CDT 2001

Wasn't someone just talking about what UPSs to buy?

Joe and Bob Electrician were wiring ceiling fans into our conference room.
You've got to picture the Texas twang on these guys to get the picture;

Me: What's the worst that can happen when you throw that switch?
Electrician Joe: All of your computers will burn up.  I seen it happen.
Electrician Bob: Nah, I got this wired just right.  Your power might go
blink for a second or two.

I'm in an optimistic mood today (and also being 1/3 of the way through a
long file restore) I thought about all those fancy UPS we have in place (and
how well they worked last month) and let 'em go for it.

One blinding flash of light later later I have two toasty UPS, and one dead
computer.  I'm happy to report that the APC SmartUPS 1000 did it's job so
that the computer could live.  It did continue to work, but will not take
current from the wall.  An older APC BackUPS 420 may be okay - but I won't
trust it anymore.  The computer IT was protecting is deader 'n a doornail.

Brian Dunbar
Americans are a pragmatic people; if scores go down, you rewrite the tests.
T. R. Fehrenbach