[SunRescue] RE: Solaris 1.1 on a 4/330

Tim Harrison rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 12 18:37:53 CST 2001

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   But nobody runs it as it exists straight from release media. :)
> ...now that I think of it, I can't think of ANY OS that I'd run
> straight from the release media. :-/

Windows 2000 Data Center!

<ducking>

>   Why would you say that?  Sure it's several years old, and
> newer/faster computers do exist.  But as I've said here many, many
> times before...unless you've got more bandwidth than I do, the
> bottleneck for NEARLY ANY application will be the connectivity.
> Unless you're into serious research-grade number crunching, 3D
> rendering/animation, or serving files to hundreds of client machines,
> a 4/300 will do pretty much any job asked of it.

Honestly, I wanted to put this machine up publicly, and use it as a cute
little (okay, friggin' huge) web server.  It doesn't need to do anything
massive, and it's not mission critical.  It's one of my many home
playtoys.

Okay, right now it holds up my laptop, because it's borked, but other
than that.... :)

>   All marketing aside...NOBODY needs an 800+MHz processor to shove bits
> down what ends up being a 33.6kbps or 56kbps pipe.  That's just
> ludicrous.

I'm on the other end of a 256k SDSL line.  I host one domain at home, do
about 2 messages a day on the mail server, and transfer stuff to and
from work.  That's it.  Not like I'm running a hosting service, or have
3r337 w4r3z.

"25MHz should be enough for anyone" -- Tim Harrison, 2001

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer
harrison at timharrison.com