[SunRescue] Odd/Old hardware (even a Sun tie-in!)

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 26 13:58:38 CST 2001

  The SPARCstation-10 is an oldie, yes...but by virtue of the fact
that its processor isn't soldered in place, it has enjoyed a very long
useful life.  I know of dozens of SS10 systems that are in use today
as very nice midrange workstations and servers.

  They originally shipped with [what were at the time abysmally slow]
SM30 processor modules.  With those processors, the machine "feels"
only slighly faster than an SS2.  But wait, there's mbus!  Just plug
in a faster CPU, and you're in business.  I still think the SS10 is
the high point of Sun engineering.

  Until just recently, my primary file server was an SS10 with an SM81
processor (zoom!) and 256MB RAM.  That sure was a nice system.  The
main reason I replaced it is that it's a lot easier to get a dozen
SCSI busses in an SGI ChallengeDM than it is in an SS10. :)

            -Dave McGuire