[SunRescue] [OT] HP Keyboard converter box?

Brian Wheeler rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Feb 24 20:43:43 CST 2001

Here's what I pulled from deja:

                    |                  Pin
    Signal          | Workstation   HIL    PS2 Mouse  PS2 Kbd
    ----------------+----------------------------------------
    HIL +12V        |      1         1
    HIL SI          |      2         2
    HIL SO          |      3         3
    GND             |      4         4         3         3
    PS2 Mouse Clock |      5                   5
    PS2 Mouse Data  |      6                   1
    GND             |      7                   3         3
    PS2 Kbd Data    |      8                             1
    PS2 Kbd Clock   |      9                             5
    PS2 +5V         |     10                   4         4

> The hard part is finding the 10 position RJ crimper and plugs. I cannot find
> the 10 position dies for my AMP crimper and do not want to buy a new off
> brand crimper just to build these :(

I'm thinking about just soldering some 4 conductor phone cable to the
motherboard and leave two female mini-8 connectors hanging out the back.

Of course, after finding a price list from HP, I remember why my former
department was so keen on ditching HP altogether:

	Keyboard Adaptor module:  $72
	  10 Pin modular cable for above: $48

	Or you can get that + a keyboard (and I hope a mouse) for
	HP-HIL Keyboard replacement kit:  $438

Ugh.  Not to mention their site is crap for finding older documentation.

Brian