[SunRescue] Acessing an IPC

David Bryant rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 23 23:25:47 CST 2001

Steve,

-----------------------------
At 10:52 PM 2/23/01 -0600, you wrote:
To: rescue at sunhelp.org
From: Steve Pacenka <spacenka at lightlink.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 20:43:41 -0500
Subject: [SunRescue] help in rehabbing some SS1, SS1+, IPC

How does one remove the top from an IPC box when one of the press-in points
on the side does not successfully disengage the metal clip
inside?
-----------------------------

The technique that I've used is to press *down* on the top of the IPC case
while pressing in on the two clips (through the holes on the side).   Then
pry the two halves of the case apart. Other times what I'll do is stand the
IPC on its "face" (connectors up). Then squeeze the two halves of the case
together, press the clips, then pry the two halves apart. Sometimes you
have do one side, then the other. It's easier to do than to describe, and
it also helps if you have three or four hands.

Apparently what happens is that over time, the metal clips dig in to the
"tabs" of the plastic case. If you don't press down on the top of the case
while pressing in on the clips they hang-up on the tabs "bowing" rather
than sliding clear.

Best of luck!

David