[SunRescue] Sol8 on dummy machines.....

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 23 20:05:15 CST 2001

tadghe at surf-ici.com writes:

><SNIP>
>>  to sun, because I wanted to switch from AIX to BSD. (That has nothing to
>>  do with POWER versus SPARC in general, just the machines that happen to
>>  be sitting in my living room.)

>You had an RS/6000 in your LIVING ROOM?
>Please excuse me while I turn Green with Envy.

The used RS/6000 market is just like the used Sun market: if it's ten
years old you can probably get it for free. I've passed on free ones.
I'm waiting for something POWER2 based to appear. :-)

I have a PowerServer 930 that I got for free. That's a nice big
rack-mount beast, 220v, lots of fans, external drives, 8mm, cd, etc.,
and a screaming 25 Mhz CPU. Ha ha ha. (Actually, this was the first
superscalar modern RISC processor if I'm not mistaken, and it can
issue up to four instructions per clock, so it does do really well
even at just 25 Mhz. Leaves an SS2 in the dust on FP.)

I'm hesitant to call the POWER CPU a microprocessor, since it consists
of eight seperate chips. I generally draw the line at three: CPU/FPU/MMU,
if the CPU can run alone. It seems weird to call an RS/6000 a mini though,
so I don't know what to call it.

MECO had one just like mine a while ago - I don't remember what he was
asking for it. Shipping will kill you though.

--- david fischer --- dave at cca.org --- www.cca.org -----------------------
----------------------- I took one sample and interpolated from there. ---