[SunRescue] Half height drives.

Tim Harrison rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 21 19:12:52 CST 2001

Mike Hebel wrote:

> If these are the same drives with the power/cable connector on the _top_
> portion of the back of the drive then you're going to have a tough time
> trying to fit them in the SS2 case.  I know - I tried and without cutting
> the cross support in the pizza cover they won't fit.

Yep, just discovered that one myself. :|  They fit if you don't plug 'em
in. :P  Argh!

> As for info on them you have to poke around IBM's web site.  It takes some
> time but they _are_ there.  All the drive numbers are slightly different so
> the data I have probably wouldn't help you.
> Try www.pc.ibm.com - your answers are probably there.

Mike's link took me to the right place.  The only thing that was similar
in that list was the M1H on the disk.  That gave me the jumper settings.

> *snooty voice* "I" use a deodorant bit!

I use a deodorant byte (big guy, lots o' sweat :)).

> Check how they compare to the support bracket - that will give you a
> go/no-go on them unless you want to cut into your case.  As for jumpers see
> the above link.  They probably only have ID, spinup, and parity jumpers.
> Most of the IBM OEM'd drives I've seen have no termination capability on
> them.

No go.  Sucks.

> Pardon me for being forward Mike N. but http://twmaster.com/sunpart.html ;-)

I'm on my way now. :)