[SunRescue] Holy Cow!

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Feb 18 20:41:33 CST 2001

I just came back from a "convention center" computer show (PC
focused, some older bits to make it interesting) and was shocked
to see 2xIPCs at only $99/ea (no head/keyboard/mouse) and 2xSS/2
for only $149/ea.

Wow.

I had to touch them to see what the price tag, and once I did,
the vendor stared at me (I think I was the first person to touch
them for the show), but after my eyes bulged, I guess he figured
I wasn't going to bother with an offer.

On thing I did nearly buy was an old IBM 701c laptop (the
butterfly keyboard one) - it was a 486/75 MHz unit, TFT screen,
24 Meg RAM and a HD with no OS. No AC adapter, no floppy. $89.

That was close.

But I did get a $900 docking station and $149 port adapter for
my low-cost Portege 650ct (mentioned here earlier, the $200
P/133 laptop) for only $55 + tax! (I now have SCSI, 2 PCI and 1
ISA slot, 2 more PCMCIA slots, etc.)

Oh, and $1.99 bidirectional parallel cables and $1.49 for a 3
1/2" floppy drive cleaner, for all those 3 1/2" air filters my
old SPARCs have on them! ;^)

But a $99 IPC - Eeks!

Ken