[SunRescue] My First Sun Box.

Gil Young rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 16 22:13:02 CST 2001

Congradulations on your first sparc!  That is great news.  First off, to
learn more about your model, check the sun hardware faq:

http://www.nectar.com/sun-hardware-faq

For the older models (like your IPX), you can use any CD-ROM capable of 512
byte block size (I think they come in 2 flavors, 512 and 2048, some are
jumper selectable, others are not).  Check with your CD-ROM manufacturer to
see if your SCSI CD-ROM can do 512 byte blocks.

And yes, you can boot off of CD, mount the drive, and edit the password
file, assuming there is a system on the drive.  But with such a small drive
and a slower system, I would recommend a minimla install of BSD, unless the
purpose was to learn Solaris.  I think Soalris 7 is the latest OS release
you can run.  If you get another type of drive, I would recommend a pair of
4 gig's mirrored so as to provide redundancy.  4 Gig is a nice number to
work with and keeps it low $ for the budget concious.

And finally, the cheapest way to config this box is to buy an IPX serial
cable:

http://www.ultraspec.com/8033.asp?Id=177

Best Wishes!

Gil