[SunRescue] When is an exchange not an exchange? WAS:pass the crack pipe

jeff borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 16 12:51:44 CST 2001

Brian Dunbar wrote:

> I'd looked at OpenMail for a still-born startup last year, and liked what I
> saw.  But here I'm a regional sys admin for a much larger company .. mostly
> free to do what I need, but Exchange is the de facto standard company wide,
> and I don't want to introduce too much of a gulf 'tween us.

We were using outlook as a client to it. The meeting scheduling was supposed
to work with openmail but we never got that far.

> I have worked at a place that had OpenMail on a HP9000 - it supported nearly
> 5000 end-users across the country, and other OpenMail boxes in Europe
> supported at least as many world wide.  It only had one problem, the mail
> admin left for greener pastures and no one understood, or cared to
> understand exactly what he had done to keep the mail server functional -
> soon after he left the system crashed, often, mail was lost, often, backups
> stopped working etc.

The people that recommend it admit that "it is very complicated to set up,
but it works"

> I head a senior VP (not of info systems) say to a collegue after the worst
> crash that "moving to Exchange would fix all of those problems".  Sigh.

The people forced use it say that "it is very complicated to set up, and it
doesn't work" There was one person (I think) on sunrescue who said they got
exchange working reliably but with the reservation of something like "once
you get it working, DON'T TOUCH IT"

--jeff