[SunRescue] IRIX and SGI -- OT --URGENT!-

Corda Albert J DLVA rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 15 13:54:32 CST 2001

Woah!  Hold on there!

Insert the chip BACK-TO-FRONT?!!!

I would _Definitely_ not recommend this!  If you look at the
specs for the DS1286 chip, I think you'll find that this
applies reverse voltage to the chip (i.e. +5v applied to the
GND pin and GND applied to the +5v pin). Such an attempt might
very likely let the magic smoke out of the chip (and possibly
the Indigo2 motherboard as well)  BTW, the specs for
the chip can be found at:
	http://www.dalsemi.com/products/timekeep/watchdog.html

What you would really want to do is to somehow disable the
CE (Chip Enable) pin of the chip when the Indigo2 is booting,
so that it thinks it has an invalid NVRAM setup.  After the
prom boot is completed and you are in the prom monitor, you
want to re-enable the CE pin connection, so that the prom monitor
can then write to the chip, which will allow you to reset
the prom password.  I can think of two ways to do this... the
first (more risky) way is to pull the DS1286 (with the power off),
power-up the machine, get into the prom monitor (past the point
where it checks for a prom password), then (VERY CAREFULLY!)
re-insert the DS1286 and reset the prom password. The second
way would be to rig up a double 28-pin socket (i.e. one socket
on top of another, best done with machine-pin sockets) with pin
20 cut between the sockets, and wire the upper and lower pin
20 stubs to a small switch between the pins, probably with some
fine wirewrap wire. Plug the socket assembly into the
motherboard, and the DS1286 into the top socket. Use the switch
to disable/enable the chip.  This would require some delicate
soldering, etc. but in my opinion it's the safest way.

BTW, all this is moot if there isn't a hardware (prom) password.
Also, I seem to remember that there is an "official" way to
reset the hardware prom password on the Indigo2 via use of a
jumper or something of that nature... Unfortunately, I don't
actually remember the procedure. Does anyone else out there
remember it?...

-al-
-acorda at geocities.com