[SunRescue] SS1 losteth its minde.... need eprom refresh.....(:+{{...

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 13 09:30:25 CST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> Finally my old SS1 crate lost its mind.... ahh, er, nvram battery power.
> Where does one find these silly chips, these days?  And, what does one
> need to restore into the thing to get it operating again?  I should have

there's instructions for restoring the contents in the sun nvram / hostid
faq - a quick hunt on google should turn that up.

> nvram chips in Sunboxes.... DEC had it right, with the 3 AAA cells
> that are so easy to fix by wiring up a spare set from the corner

i've successfully performed the modification shown in the above faq, by
fixing a dual-AAA battery holder to the top of the chip with some epoxy
resin and wiring it up to the buried contacts on the chip. i just used a
little mini craft drill to remove the epoxy covering these contacts on the
chip. a little bit of fiddly soldering iron work, but it's much cheaper
than a new NVRAM.

d.