[SunRescue] Re: SS2 running headless

Eli Bottrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 12 18:40:00 CST 2001

It really depends on the mission of the box. I have mail servers that while they
have secondary (and equal prefrence) mx, I still could have mail that is in the
queue, and it needs to get delivered. Only problem is that the machines are in
San Jose and Boston, so it's not so easy. And anyone who has ever tried to get an
Exodus NOC monkey to log into your box and tell you what is happening knows as
well as I do that it's just a headache.

Basically, if you care about your box being up 24/7, a serial console will do you
a world of good. Period. It's just one less step you have to go through to see
what's wrong with the box.

By the way, what do people use for network accessable serial terminals? We use
DEC terminal servers in our data centers, and I'm messing with a Port Master 2
for the server room in this building.

Also, anyone ever used a WizCon before? Basically a 386 w/4mb of ram and 8 serial
ports, and a display that fits in a 4u rackmount. *VERY* cool to say the least.
While you can't get to them over the network, at least you can locally, and they
buffer a certain amount of the console so you can see what the last messages a
box spewed were on it's way down.

    - Eli