[SunRescue] sparc 5 memory...

kebabthesheep rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 9 07:24:27 CST 2001

Hi all,

After contacting a mate at sun uk, I was told that the sparc5 takes ordinary jedec dimms, of 4x72
pin format.  It uses 64 bits of the 72 for data, and 2 for parity.  He also said, that he has used
PC memory in a sparc5 and visa versa, and that the 'fact' that sparc5 ram is special, is just a
myth.  (and a profitable one at that)

Has anyone any experience of using PC 32Mb parity dimms in a sparc5?  What about the sparc4?  I
was lead to believe it was a 'cut-down' cheap sparc5, but that somehow there *IS* something odd
about it's memory requirements.

I'm confused by all this - I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on ram for a couple of slow
suns, which I was given for free, but equally I want to play with solaris 7/8...

Dave.