[SunRescue] Seagate Hawk misbehavior

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 6 15:03:34 CST 2001

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> Sounds like the hall-effect sensor is kaput.  I've had that happen on a few
> drives over the years.  See if it is still under warranty from Seagate,
> their web site will allow you to check.

Failing that, I've had success fixing some of these with marginal sensors.
If there's a set screw retaining the sensor (usually on the bottom of the
drive spindle) then reset the sensor to spindle clearance to around 3
thousandths (0.003").  This seems to be enough to allow for thermal
expansion.

Might not help but can't hurt if the drive is out of warranty and dead.

-James