[SunRescue] OT: Irix installation on bare machine

Mike Meredith rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 5 15:32:41 CST 2001

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001, you wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 07:20:30PM -0800, Christopher Byrne wrote:
> > make a long story even longer I gave up after about an hour of
> > "conflict resolution".
> > Can anyone help me here? The machine is an 02, one disk, 128megs
> > RAM, Irix 6.5 with overlays.
> > Thanks,
> > Chris Byrne
>
> Much easier than that:
>
> http://www.reputable.com/indytech.html#Partitioning

I haven't checked that url, so I could be repeating what's said there,
but I'd just install IRIX 6.5 and load the overlays later (assuming
that by overlays you mean the updates to 6.5.x). It might help with the
conflicts problem.

Incidentally, check the CD's for any directories called 'unbundled' as
SGI stick some interesting software in there.

> Its sad that out of all the commercial UNIXes, IRIX still has the
> *shittiest* install procedure I've ever seen - you'd think they'd at
> least have a whiz-bang spiffy graphical install by now.. 8-)

Noooo.....

Don't give them that idea --- some of us have headless SGI's and
knowing SGI they'd try and get us to buy a head for 10x a sensible
price just to install a new version of IRIX.

--
peace, love, and chocolate chip cookies