[SunRescue] Salvaging a big case to use as drive enclosure?

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Feb 3 19:53:11 CST 2001

On 2/3/01 at 4:12 PM, Greg A. Woods <woods at weird.com> wrote:

>[ On Saturday, February 3, 2001 at 10:21:52 (-0500), David Rouse wrote: ]
>> Subject: [SunRescue] Salvaging a big case to use as drive enclosure?
>>
>> My Apple Network Server has bitten the dust -- no startup chime, no LCD
>> display and no amount of card resetting or RAM pulling helps. The machine
>> powers up, but doesn't do anything past that. I'm guessing bad CPU card,
>> motherboard or ROM (?).
>
>Have you measured the power?  Do the fans still go?  If so then it
>sounds more like "no more +5vdc".....

The lights that I expect to see are on, including the lights on the HDs, the
LCD backlight, the rear power indicator lamp and all those noisy fans are
running (two power supplies and two big fans in the case). But thanks, it is
a good thing to check. I've also stepped through Apple's own checklist for
this beast (found a guy who has an enthusiasts site with a bunch of pdf
files and Apple website screen shots) to no avail.

And I get the same symptoms (i.e. everything powers up but no POST tests)
when I yank the CPU card. And gosh, I had forgotten how small those Moto 604
chips were. I might have a good lead on a cheap CPU card, however. Apple
sold some 200 MHz upgrade cards and a Mac reseller still has a few left. I
do like the poor old thing, and five years seems a short lifespan when I've
seen a 4/670 do ten or more.

--
drouse