[SunRescue] OT Soyo subnotebooks

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 1 13:26:20 CST 2001

On 27 Jan 2001 20:46:56 -0600, Reagen Ward wrote:
> I'm very seriously tempted to purchase a Soyo PM-1801 Monday, and I was
> wondering if anyone here had any experience with the Soyo subnotebook
> products?

I haven't used them, or even seen them, yet.  Sort of odd, since we've
got 400 students on campus here, and I tend to see lots of PCs and micro
PCs as all the frosh tend to get new computers.

> Even if you haven't used their product, has anyone had much experience
> with the (formerly) Cyrix MediaGX CPUs?  It's got a 266 MediaGX for CPU,
> video, and sound.

Well, it must work with Linux, as Telsa has one and has been using
RedHat on it.  (That's telsa who's related to Alan Cox, the Linux kernel
hacker).  I guess the machine is a bit slow for running GNOME with only
32MB of ram, but with more it should be OK (although probably not fast).

    Greg