[rescue] The fat lady. . .

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 31 10:00:54 CST 2001

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 10:02:35AM -0600, Scott Newell wrote:
> >If memory serves, the .45 ACP was chosen by the government for it's large
> >bullet size, and minimal penetration.  The reasoning was that you wanted a
> >bullet that would penetrate into flesh, expand, and stop.  You never want a
> >clean hole in someone in a war - they can recover from clean holes.  But a
>
> Which explains the choice of .223, right?  :-)
>
> I'd always read the reasoning that wounds were preferable, since it then
> takes additional manpower to care for the injured.  Kinda cold, if true...

For the .223, it is lighter, and its trajectory does not vary more
than 3 inches over the first 100 yards.  So you can stick a laser
sight on it, zeroed in at say 50 yards, and you won't be off more than
1 or 2 inches from the dot.

With a rifle, you are farther away and just want to create casualties
to create logistical problems and harm morale.

But when they are close enough to use a handgun on them you just want
them dead, I think.

./patrick