[rescue] Trailing-edge compute farm looking for gainful

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 30 22:37:24 CST 2001

>Even if the other boxes made the intel offerings look pathetic back in
>the day, they've been left far in the dust at this point.

Yep.  Relatively speaking, which performance aspects and capabilities of
old machines are most competitive with modern boxes?

Let's see--you can hang what, 7? 8?, SCSI devices on most any SCSI bus.
That's not too bad.  Most modern boxes don't seem to come equipped with
more than 2 serial ports.  Pizza box suns could run 3 sbus
framebuffers--that's a triple header without the sbus expander.  Doesn't
take too much horsepower to saturate a 10 Mb link, and even less to fill
the average DSL/cable broadband link.

Now as to what you can do to take advantage of that situation, well, I'm at
a loss.  I'm planning on using my gaggle of sparcs to test various NTP ref
clocks.

newell