[rescue] OT - Cisco 678 ADSL router any good?

Kenneth Caruso rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 30 14:23:35 CST 2001

The 678 supports PPOE however I do not know if supports PPTP, I didnt
realize Telcos used PPTP on their DSL circuits.

CBOS is definately not IOS, commands are different etc... However you can
do alot of what you would normally do on a router, add routes, configure
ACLs, SNMP monitoring for utilization and traps etc...

It does NAT, DHCP etc...  but if you plan on having multiple static IP
addresses then you will probably have the 678 routing for those IPs. At
least thats how uswest does it. If you only have one real ip then no
biggie. However I guess you could do DHCP, and NAT and route real IPs at
the same time, it would just all go other the one ethernet port and not be
sheltered from the outside (router on a stick).

I dont know alot what the used market is, but UsWorst was charging $95
when you got DSL with them. I have seen some used for $100.

Not a bad little unit, a good look into routers for people that have never
mucked with them.

As far as I have seen the 675 and 678 are the nicest DSL routers out their
out side of upgrading to Cisco8XX (dont remember the number), that runs a
real Cisco IOS.

The only other thing you want to check is what kind of line they are
giving you. CAP or DMT, this will be crucial as to wether your dsl modem
will work. I had a cisco 675 that was for CAP lines, and thought I could
use it when I moved, that was not the case as at my new place I got stuck
on a DMT line. Other than that difference arent the 675 and 678 the same?

Ken Caruso
kenc at seattlewireless.net
http://ken.ipl31.net

"when in doubt tell the truth" -Mark Twain