[rescue] Token-ring pin assignment

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 28 20:06:54 CST 2001

>http://webpages.charter.net/ohlandl/NIC/TR-cable.html

   Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

>p.s. who in the Wide World of Sports is still using Token Ring?  This isn't
>a business, is it?

   No, just me indulging in a bit of necromancy. I have an assortment of
ISA and EISA token-ring cards sitting around acquired as part of various
junk boxes. In my planning, I realized that the webcam-running machines
wouldn't need to talk to anything but the webserver, so I decided to
isolate them on a separate segment. On a whim, I bought a cheap 3Com
Token-Ring hub (MAU? I still don't know what the difference is, really) off
Ebay. It's definitely not passive -- besides requiring 120VAC, it sounds
like it could blow itself along by fan power if put on a slick surface.

   (If I understood more about FDDI and the different kinds of connectors
and cabling, I'd probably find a reason to have an FDDI segment in my
network, too.)

   Recently, I've been collecting the 3Com TokenLink cards because they're
some of the few Token Ring cards which are supported by NetBSD (or any of
the free Unixes, for that matter), in case I ever need to put a Unix box on
that segment. For a buck or so apiece, if I never use them, who cares?

   --James B.