[rescue] The fat lady. . .

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 28 07:43:52 CST 2001

IDE cables were keyed - both with a little nub on the top edge in the
middle (like a SCSI cable) and with a missing pin (middle bottom row).
The cable connecotr had a filled-in hole where that pin should go.

Of course, it became cheaper to just use 40 pin headers and connectors,
so that is what most use these days...

Ken

On Thursday, December 27, 2001, at 08:43 PM, Brian Hechinger wrote:

>> I hate drive cables.  Luckily I've never had permenant damage result
>> from
>> getting one backwards.  I did see a machine where the guy plugged his
>> hard
>> drive power cable in backwards.  That drive was finished.
>
> what is so terribly hard about keying cables?  most SCSI cables are
> keyed
> (although not all of them) so why can't IDE cables be keyed?  they can
> only
> go in one way if they are keyed, you can be a drooling moron and STILL
> not
> screw it up.
>
> this is the one thing i never understood about cables.
>
> blah
>
> -brian

Ken

n2vip at yahoo.com