[rescue] What about access points???

Kenneth Caruso rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 19:09:28 CST 2001

Lucent RG-1000, AP-500 and Apple Airport are essentially the same thing,
in fact you can swap firmware between the models.

The above mentioned tend to have better range and sensistivity (rf) than
the linksys APs. However linksys are generally cheaper and one particular
model (WAP11) you can hack quite a bit ( boost output power and do AP to
AP links ).

For just home use any of them will do, but if you want to get into doin
long range links you need to consider the hackability and specs of the
different APs.

I agree about the Dlinks, they do suck.

Lucent recently cleared out the RG-1000 APs (same as Apple Airport) for
59.99 a piece and they sold all remaining stock in a few days. However
alot of them were picked up by resellers who are selling them on ebay for
70-150 bucks new. RG-1000 for $100 or less is a screaming deal. It does
NAT, DHCP, SNMP, SYSLOG, has a modem (which also doubles as a serial
port) some of these require latest firmware which is freely availble. On
top of that you can load an etherboot firmware on to them which will boot
linux and freebsd over the local net.

Ken Caruso
kenc at seattlewireless.net
http://ken.ipl31.net

"when in doubt tell the truth" -Mark Twain