[rescue] The fat lady. . .

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 15:13:19 CST 2001

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 03:03:31PM -0600, Amy wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Paul Sladen wrote:
>
> > Grab yourself, a copy of Debian (www.debian.org)
>
> no offense to anyone here, but i dont like linux. in fact, i abhor it.
> despise it. hate it. its not my thing.

Any particular reason why?  I didn't think it would stick out so much to a non
major gear head who still likes other unixs.

> > Then grab a SBLive!
>
> i've gone through three of these. wonderful sound cards, cant rave enough
> about them (they work great and stand up to cat hair and renovation dust).

I like my SBLive fairly well.  I wish that all the chanels were supported by
the linux driver, but oh well.  I kinda like the idea of having a device that
is just audio in and out with out any fancy processing features, but there
don't appear to be much in the way of linux supported ways of doing this with
quality, PCI cards.

I'm tempted to try this (http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/electronics/5756.shtml)
next time though it appears that I would have to use digital audio extraction
instead of the digital out on my DVD-ROM, and it also doesn't appear to support
recording.  But, it's not like I expect my live to fail soon should I want
recording features.  Roland also makes some nice looking USB D/As, but I don't
know if they are standards compliant enough for linux to use them.

--
Joshua D. Boyd