[rescue] The fat lady. . .

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 14:12:43 CST 2001

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 02:01:41PM -0600, Amy wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Steve Hatle wrote:
>
> > Apparently she's off the stage and in the car on the way home from Be.
> >
> > http://www.be.com
>
> NOW THIS JUST SUCKS.

Well, that has pretty much been what I've been saying since R5 came without the
much promised hardware GL support.  To someone who spend most of his spare
programming time with GL code, this was a pretty much a show stopper.  Up till
then I wasn't able to go so far as to buy a BeBox, but I did have legit
copies of every Intel release.  If only Palm would open source it, but, I doubt
they will.

BTW, have you looked at AthenaOS?  It shows numerous signs of Be-ish
inspiration, and it looks like it is usable for real work today, assuming that
real work doesn't mean GL or sound.  I'll probably try it once they get just
a bit more polished installation procedures, although it doesn't have a chance
of becoming my main OS until it get hardware 3D acceleration, which doesn't
look likely anytime soon (the maintainer refuses to accept kernel patchs except
for really small bug fixes, which is the main reason for the incredibly awefull
sound support).

--
Joshua D. Boyd