[rescue] 712/60 CDROM (was SOG)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 26 21:36:52 CST 2001

katchab at csd.uwo.ca writes:

>You may also want to check the media you are booting off of.  If you
>are using a burned CD, the older drives that we found to be most
>successful with those boxes don't like some burned CDs.  (That was
>snafu #2 that we hit - I don't know if was the color of the CDR or
>what it was.  I remember it taking several attempts with different
>media to get it going.  Ugghhh.)

I had a funny situation with a burned CD recently.

Machine A. - VAXstation 3100 running Ultrix
Machine B. - Sun SS2 running OpenBSD 2.something

A. Likes my CD-ROM drive, doesn't like the filesystem on the CDR.

B. Probably would get the filesystem, but can't deal with my drive.

I eventually did a "dd" of the raw CDR blocks off the drive on the VAX,
to an NFS partition on the Sun, and used the "vnd" thing to mount the
filesystem image on the Sun. Worked fine.

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------