[rescue] 712/60 CDROM (was SOG)

Mike Katchabaw rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 26 20:44:58 CST 2001

> > Yeah I was using a Sun Caddy cdrom. Which CDROM would you recomend?
>
> I reccommend Plextor.

We had similar issues with 715s.  Could not get them to boot of of Sun
cdroms that everything else seemed to like.  We had luck with both a
Toshiba 4x caddy drive (can't remember the model number, but I can check
if you like) and an IBM 1x caddy drive.

> > I believe I tried it with an external Plextor CDROM drive also to no
> > avail.
>
> Did you have the block jumper set on? That forces the drive into 512 byte
> block mode.

You may also want to check the media you are booting off of.  If you
are using a burned CD, the older drives that we found to be most
successful with those boxes don't like some burned CDs.  (That was
snafu #2 that we hit - I don't know if was the color of the CDR or
what it was.  I remember it taking several attempts with different
media to get it going.  Ugghhh.)

Mike.