OT Linux (RE: [rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?)

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 22 12:51:57 CST 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-21 at 22:55, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:09:01AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 12:30:27AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 12:01:56AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> >>Yes, rotates are good for crypto, as are the 32bit registers.  I wonder how
> >>much this really helps people running web servers as opposed to people runing
> >>distributed.net.
> >
> > How about SSL for an ecommerce site?  Transfer of files over SSH via scp?
> >
> > Will know soon enough - SSL cert awaiting delivery.
>
> I don't know.  It would interesting to see for common sites how much of the
> load is the SSL processor versus everything else.  I'm thinking that based
> on much CPU power is used on my machines for SSH that it isn't much.  Err, both
> SSH and SSL use RSA, do they not.

>From my personal experience, SPARCs suck at SSH.  OpenBSD on my SS2 took
a couple of hours to generate a DSA key, and on my 486-50, it took like
5 minutes.  The SS2 has 64MB of ram, while the 486 had 16MB.  It seems
to take quite a bit longer to initiate connections to SPARC machines
than it does x86 machines using ssh, and the machines aren't heavily
loaded.  Not sure what that means, exactly...
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.