OT Linux (RE: [rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?)

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 22 00:09:01 CST 2001

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 12:30:27AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 12:01:56AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> Yes, but how hard do you really push the K6-2?

I don't push it at all... my customers who run db-backed web servers do though :-)

One db query at least for each page load.

> > The main boost seen from early MMX implementations was the increase in
> > L2 cache size for the original Pentiums. SSE dunno.  However Intel did
> > one thing right when they added hw rotate instruction, which is used
> > in crypto code and makes it faster.

As Ken pointed out, I should have said "L1 cache" instead of L2 cache above.

> Yes, rotates are good for crypto, as are the 32bit registers.  I wonder how
> much this really helps people running web servers as opposed to people running
> distributed.net.

How about SSL for an ecommerce site?  Transfer of files over SSH via scp?

Will know soon enough - SSL cert awaiting delivery.

./patrick