[rescue] Indigo sans front cover

Dan Canaan rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 20 21:48:03 CST 2001

At 03:43 AM 12/21/01 +0000, you wrote:
>    I just scored an Indigo, but it doesn't have a front cover. It does,
>however, have a sticker saying DO NOT OPERATE SYSTEM WITH FRONT COVER
>REMOVED. All the pieces seem to be in place, and there's no sign that
>the front cover was anything but a piece of plastic -- I don't see any
>connections for fans, for example. What's the story? Is it a matter of
>getting airflow over the disks? If so, it looks like a little clip-on fan
>should take care of it.

The Indigos, along with several other SGI models, suffer from poor air
ventilation.  The power supplies pretty much bake themselves into solid
bricks without good airflow and that front cover is needed to keep the air
moving properly.  A couple of clip fans (the 9" variety) would probably do
the trick, but not as well as the original cover.

The obvious solution would be to give this Indigo to your roommate who
likes old SGI's.  (hint hint hint hint hint hint)

-Dan Canaan
  |             |   1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III   *   Furry Artist      |
  |             |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
  |    Canaan   |     ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle!       |
  | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters at picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |