[rescue] Cheap UPS followup

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 20 19:51:17 CST 2001

Well, it sucks.  It claimed my stack of sparcs (measured draw of about 2A)
was an overload, so I backed it down and left just a 486 and a switch on
the battery outlets.  No good--maybe 1/2 second of runtime, followed by a
dead UPS.  Opened it up--nothing obviously wrong, and looking at the board,
I'm shocked that they can sell it for $30.  Oh well, sometimes you do get
what you pay for.  I hereby withdraw my reco for the $10 Cyberpower UPS.

On the other hand, my Dad let in excess of 250 PII-450 chips, in Intel
factory shipping containers but without fans, slip by him this morning at
the freight surplus.  They were in a box with a bunch of other PeeCee junk
for $100.  It's not all bad news--my Dad pointed a guy to the box, and
talked him out of one CPU for free after he bought it.

Do the P2s require a fan?  I'd like to shove it in my mobo and at least see
if it'll boot, but I doubt I've got the proper mounting hardware.

newell