[rescue] Building gcc

Robert Rose rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 19 01:01:29 CST 2001

>I have used the gcc from sunfreeware without recompilation, and
>it works fine.  If the sunfreeware version is acceptable,

I've preferred the stuff from ibiblio (was metalab), their packages seem to
be more reliable.

>it should be no different than the same version compiled by you.
>That is of course if sunfreeware does the 2-stage process.

I was told it is actually a 3 stage process:

1. Build a compiler from source code with downloaded C compiler.
2. Use compiler generated in step 1 to compile the "real" compiler from
source code.
3. Use the "real" compiler to compile from source code and compare the
binaries generated with the "real" compiler binaries.

If steps 2 & 3 produces identical binaries, then you're done.

Rob.