[rescue] weird problem

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 18 12:12:39 CST 2001

OK,

This morning when I decided to check my mail I kept getting time-outs while
trying to connect to my mailserver from my Linux box. anyway, I rebooted the
Linux box, no change. So I get poking around and cannot connect to my
nameserver. odd....I reboot the nameserver and all seems well. I got my mail
and things seemed fine. Then, while having an SSH xterm open I noticed that I
am no longer seeing my console messages. OK I says WTF???

I go to the server room, connect a VT to the mailserver and all looks good.
getting console messages on the VT, I can see the nameservers, ping anybody I
want etc.

Now I go back to the linix box, when I ping the mail server I get 1 packet
back, all the rest go off into the ether....still no console messages. I can
pop my mail just fine.

Any ideas?? I am stumped.

Mike N