[rescue] Building gcc

Kevin Loch rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 18 10:55:45 CST 2001

Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:04:23AM -0500, Kevin Loch wrote:
> > > either that, or if you're using solaris 8 get the software companion CD image whihch has gcc and all the tools pre-compiled for solaris 8, and in my view seem to be better than the sunfreeware ones (except they install to /opt/sfw instead of /usr/local ugh!!!)
> > That is reason enough not to touch that CD.  Someone needs to whack Sun
> > with
> > a clue by four over the whole /opt fetish.
> > KL
>
> # ln -s /opt/sfw /usr/local
>
> problem solved.  Or, if /usr/local already exists:
>
> # ln -s /usr/local /opt/sfw

I think the problem is that in /opt the convention is to put everything
under
/opt/<package>/...  whereas in /usr/local things usually go in
/usr/local/bin,/sbin,/etc,/man...
Some packages may need (want) to be in their own directory
(/usr/local/apache) but that is
the exception and not the rule.  Do you really want to add another
couple paths to PATH
for every package you install?

KL