[rescue] What am I worth in America ?

Fogg, James rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 15 08:14:36 CST 2001

It is a rather tough time to move here. The tech industry is not doing well.
Depending on where in the US you live, its either shrinking (heavy job
losses) or in a holding pattern (hiring freeze). You might well find
yourself waiting tables in a restaurant.

Since many companies can halt investment in data processing technology with
little impact for several years, they hit datatech first to save their money
for their real business expenses, like feed stock and machines that produce
product that they sell for profit.

On the other hand, there are three or four major tech centers that are still
hiring. Boston, NYC, parts of Texas and California. Unfortunately, living is
expensive there. Basic three bedroom, two bath houses often run 1/2 million
US dollars.

Personally, I can't imagine picking up and moving to another country just so
I can make more money. I moved from New England to Florida, California and
Pennsylvania (over 10 years) and even that was too far from home. Now I am
back in New Hampshire, living among people that I understand, and who
understand me. For me, money/lifestyle is NOT more important than family and
community.

BTW.. your skill set is a little light for making real money. You would
likely find employment in the $30,000 to $45,000 range in an area of high
employment. In a more rural/industrial area, $20,000 to $35,000. In this
country, that's not much money.