[rescue] SS10 problems

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 14 10:55:09 CST 2001

I'm assuming that it still only boots 1 time in ten.
Given that, I would agree with Mike - check the memory
(actually pull each DSIMM out and re-insert it fully--
if you think you're pushing too hard but you haven't
felt it "clunk" into place, then you're not pushing
hard enough).

Other than that, I would pull all but one memory DSIMM,
one of the processors, any SBus cards other than video,
and disconnect the hard disk.  Once it boots reliably
in that configuration, then start building it back up.
Note that if you pull all but one memory stick, you'll
want to ensure that the one you leave is the correct
one--the FEH and the SunHelp resources are your friend.

If it's a system that's been kept in not-very-well-
filtered air, you may also want to blow out the hairballs
with canned air.

By the time you've gone through all of that you might
spend an hour--but I've *never* had a Sun fail to boot
after the full treatment.  PC crap, OTOH...

  --Rip