[rescue] SGI Indy for $25?

Carl-Johan Schenstrom rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 12:56:46 CST 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> > If it's an R5K I believe you're better off with an XL24, even for 3D.
>
> Would you care to say more about that?  I know that the r5k is faster at
> geometry transformation than the XZ, but doesn't the XZ offer other features
> (depth buffering comes to mind, but I'm being to lazy to check).

Disclaimer: I'm probably out of my depth here because I know nothing of
these things, at least compared to you.

Yes, you only get Z-buffering with the XZ. If this is important, the XZ is
obviously a better choice. It tends to be quite expensive, though, and may
even make some operations (geometry and lightning) slower than using the
R5K CPU.

There's more information under "Graphics" on Ian Mapleson's "Buying an
Indy" page:

<http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/indyinfo.html>

//cjs