[rescue] DEC 5000?

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 10:24:15 CST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 11:09:40AM -0500, Mike Katchabaw wrote:
> Sadly, no one we can find knows a whole lot about the front end, other
> than it was a DEC 5000.  From what I can find, it's neither an Alpha
> nor a VAX, but rather some kind of MIPS RISC system.  Is that correct?

The DEC 5000 that you talk about is a Decstation 5000.  It was a stop gap from
Digital until they could complete the Alpha.  Anyway, it does use a MIPS r3000
processor.  They are fairly common, but I just gave mine away about a month
ago.  Other people of this probably have them though.

> Apparently the backend would really like to have a DEC 5000 for its
> front end.  We have all of the software and tape backups necessary to
> get this running and feed jobs to the backend.  Would anyone know
> where we could find a DEC 5000 or parts for one?  (I haven't
> personally seen the toasted front end yet, so I'm not quite sure what
> died on it either.)

Probably just easiest to get a new decstation, and maybe swap harddrives and
ram.

--
Joshua D. Boyd