[rescue] Interactive Unix?

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 10 16:12:59 CST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I wasn't sure if the 386i ever ran SunOS-4 or not.   I only ever had
> brief exposure to one.  It was a curious attempt by Sun to effectively
> say "look, we can build a PC too!", but it wasn't really much better,
> and of course it wan't really a clone because it only ran Sun's
> software.

You could actually run MS-DOS natively on a window in the 386i machines.
We used to have one of this beasts and it was weird to run DOS apps under
SunView windows. In fact I think you could have several instances of DOS
running, and I think that was one of the marketing strategies for the
machine. (this was before windows could do several DOS prompts.... Late
80s ISTR.

> > Hey, at least it wasn't Intergraph UNIX...which is
> > what I was also admin-ing in 1990 at about the
> > same time as I was running a Sun 386i.
>
> Yuck.  Almost as bad as Irix!  ;-)

What is wrong with IRIX?